Spirometry and PFT
What is Spirometry
Quite simply, spirometry measures two basic elements:
- The amount of usable air in the lungs (vital capacity)
- How fast the patient can blow the air out
Pulmonary Function Testing
- Spirometry is a component of pulmonary function testing.
- Complete pulmonary function testing must be performed in a dedicated lab.
- Spirometry, as a stand alone procedure, can be done at the bedside or in the office setting.
Authored by William A. French. Medically reviewed by Dr. Barbara Erickson, PhD, RN, CCRN.